Monday, February 2, 2009

Dear fambly, Fri. Jan 30, 2009
I'm parnaoid about writing in pencil. It's silly but I always think pen is better for some reason...Anyway--I was in the middle of talking about Paul and my recent change of heart towards him when the counter ran out! I've really been trying to explore the origins of my thing against Paul. I really don't know, but I found a passage about Paul raising a man from the dead after he fell asleep while Paul was preaching and fell out of the window he was perched on. I had (at some study point, YEARS ago) highlighted this passage and written "Bored. To. Death." in the margins.(The Acts 20:7-9)
I was a hostile little scriptorian. Anyway- I told you about Elder Wadsworth & Elder Master and how they just straight-up don't get along--but neither did Barnabas and Paul. They split up in the middle of their "mission" and had to get different "companions" Acts 15:37-40.
These are just details to a larger message and history of the beginning of the Apostacy --but as missionaries--the disciples of old had the same kinds of struggles that WE 21st century missionaries do.
They had all sorts of other struggles too--like being murdered by their investigators--that we (hopefully) don't have to deal with. Maybe they got realy exhausted and didn't want to wake up at six in the morning (or they had a companion like Hermana Thomas who likes to get up at FIVE!) maybe it was too hot or too cold.
Often times--I imagine the disciples as this united front of Christ-like followers who were always completely focused on the gospel and got along perfectly and never wanted to "gulpear en la cabeza" (punch in the head, in badly spelled/conjugated spanish). But I can understand now how missionaries can be effective teachers and how they can love the gospel and each other, even--but still not like each other. I see it with Elder Master and Elder Wadsworth. They are both filled with a lot of light and love--and they manage to work around their differences.
The other day--I saw them do something cute. One of the teachers said "At some point in your mission--you may find yourself with a companion you don't like" I HAD to glance over at them. I saw that they were both smirking a little and then something really neat happened; Elder Wadsworth held up one fist towards Elder Master & Elder Master gave him a little pound. ADORABLE!
I'm really lucky that both of my companions are so wonderful. I adore both of them and it's amazing how well we get along. We've been together for almost a month now and we've yet to have a fight. The closest we ever got was when I dared to call Hermana Thomas "Princess" during a basketball game. You should have seen her, though--she's all little and blonde and she tossed the ball into the ground all angrily--for some reason it looked like a pumpkin to me. It was more funny than anything else that happened all day--and that is saying something because the MTC is pretty hilarious sometimes. By the way--I've decided I LOVE the MTC after all.
But--I'll be happy to leave in a little over a month. The food just isn't great. Speaking of which--you asked a few letters ago about if I thought I'd manage to lose any weight as a result of not wanting food. At the time, I was really cross because I got that letter after I had JUST found out that I gained 10 WHOLE pounds! (This was about a week in) But, I decided not to mention that until I had managed to lose the weight again--as of this morning, I'm back to normal.
All right--now I have to say--THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I received the lovely care-package! It was the best thing ever! I and my companions were totally overjoyed to get my music and all of the CANDY! DOLCES! YAY!!! ARRRIBA!! QUE DEVERTIDO!!
It was really such an amazing gift--and the T-shirt is so adorable! I feel so cute when I'm out playing basketball and sporting my colours! I needed another T-shirt too, but I didn't want to buy the ones they sell at the bookstore because they're just not cool--so that was perfecto! Muchos Gracias!!
It's hard to tell--About the Spanish...I think I'm doing well. Who knows?!
Laney's little newspaper is so FUN! I'm so glad to see that she's keeping busy and having a good time with her projects! She's such a creative little genius-child.
So, I'm real excited for Lauren to come next week! Sounds like her farewell was lovely-and there are RUMOURS that we're getting a new district this week--I'm crossing my fingers that Lauren will be a part of it--we won't know till tomorrow at least...
I've gotten some cache around here for being the cousin of a Steelers player. The Superbowl came up in class so I said, "My cousin plays for the Steelers." and Elder Wadsworth said "Who is he ?!" and I said "Chris Hoke." "YOUR COUSIN IS NUMBER 76??!!" "Yeah!" "But..He's like...GOOD!! He's not one of the bench guys--he plays!"
We didn't even notice about the "Blonde, Red Brunette" of our trio! Now, it's our new thing! Way to be observant!
The mummies sound awesome! I am so up for dead-things-tour when I get back!
PLEASE tell me who wins the Superbowl. The teachers won't (Hermano Richardson MIGHT.)
Sounds like everything outside the gates of the MTC is gairy good..ish. This stimulus thing sounds like an idea we already tried that didn't work out so great.
Today I took a nap. I didn't mean to. It was one o'clock and I decided to rest for a minute before I started my letters, but then it was 3:30 and Hermana Thomas was waking me up so we could go do laundry!
So, that's why this letter is a bit short! I'll make it up to you next week, promise! I want to say thank you --for writing so often and for the encouragement and love...I see missionaries here, who don't have that. It's tragic--but it makes me so grateful for all of you, that much more. Also, I LOVE listening to "I Dream of Jeannie". When the song comes on I always have to say "That's my daddy!" Laney's letters are always so sweet! Jensen-genius, I'm sure you're doing great in your classes! WRITE ME. Mommy--gracias pour the scriptures you send me--many of them come right in time for our lessons!
I love you!! Hermana Lillywhite

Side note on the letter: Hermano Lillywhite, this is Hermana Thomas. I just wanted to add a little note to this letter and say thanks for the music. We love it! Anyways, that is all. We also love Hermana Lillywhite to death. Ciao! Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment