Thursday, February 19, 2009

13 Feb 2009

Dear Fambly, Feb 13, 2009
I ran out of yo gabba gabba paper! So sad-maybe there's a "Hot Topic" store in Texas where I can get some more. Anyway, where did I leave off in my e-mail? I think the next thing on my list is Hermano Prestwich. So, I think I've probably already told you a lot about him, I may have even already mentioned that he and Andy Moyes served in the same mission!
Mexico City North is a legendary mission--Andy did not do it justice in his letter, apparently, but that's okay because it's so cool to hear stories now that I'm in the MTC. Anyway, Hermano Prestwich says he didn't know Andy very well--but he was part of what went down there, so it's relevant. They just baptized so many people and what's really impressve was that their "retention" (not sure that's the right word, but I mean to say how many people get baptized and STAY active) anyway--that number increased by like 200%. It was incredible-they show their stats in our meetings all the time to motivate us to tackle people into the font(my words not theirs). So, Hermano Prestwich is awesome--he's kind of soft spoken but very direct--he's one of those people who teaches with questions.
I feel SO lucky to be surrounded by such great teachers--even the teachers who aren't actually MY teachers have taught me so much like Hermano Hadly (straight-face comedian type) speaking of which, mom-what is the name of the comedian we watched right before I left?! It's been driving me nuts that I can't rememer his name. I think it's similar to the name of a famous missionary who Hermano Hadly and Hermano Richardson talk about ALL the time. Anyway, Hermano Hadly is great. He and Hermano Richardson were companions on their mission. And Hermana Saylor I told you about, I think. She is my shero. This week she got us to agree to be "no Ingleis" around her new class so they would start off taking spanish seriously.

Oh--and I have to tell you a little more about Elder Wadsworth. He's very fun. His whole thing is analogies. So, in class the other day he began to wax philisophical. According to Elder Wadsworth, missionaries are in the army of God (normal enough) and here are his views about missionary work in North america (I'm sure he'll worry about South America, Asia and Europe later). English speaking missionaries are like the footsoldiers! Spanish (stateside) speaking missionaries are FLAME THROWERS! Hermanas are snipers "Because they just penetrate the heart!" And Senior missionaries are Special Ops! I seriously love this Elder so much, he's so much fun, I think we'll keep him around.

Also Hermano Anthony was asked by one of the Edlers "What happens on the frist day we're out in the field?" And before Hermano Anthony could answer Elder Wadsworth jumped in and said "You arrive at the airport and you're really tired, then you eat with the Mission President and then you meet your companion, then you go to bed, wake up at 6 and work your butt off for two years--then on the plane ride home you drink a ton of Dr. Pepper, and every one is all happy to see you, but then they basically go back to living their lives and your Dad's like "get a job" and you're all like "Que es eso, where's my fiesta?" then, like sixty years later after you've had like 6 kids, you go to meet your father and he's like, "So how did it go?" and you say "well, I made some mistakes and stuff, but I was a good person and I worked really hard on my mssion, so am I okay?" and God says "Esta bien." and you're set." Just like that. No pauses or nothing. All of that in response to "what hapens on the first day of your mission?" Awesome.
He's exactly like that in his lessons too--but he's really sweet and he's got a dynamite testimony. He was the first Elder to memorize the first vision in Espanol.
Apparently part of the "service" portion of my mission will be translation . I'm excited for that. Hermano Anthony said that he did "A LOT" of translation stuff for his investigators (for job interviews and the like) he was stateside spanish too.

The RC has continued to be a very interesting and valuable experience. It seems like I ALWAYS end up on the phone with people who just want to talk and tell me their whole life story (they're typically drunk) which is fine because after ten minutes of patiently listening when I finally say "Would you be interested in having a couple of our missionaries come by and share a message with you about Jesus?" they always slurr "Sure! Send 'em over!"
Really, It's really interesting. I really feel for these people. I want to help them as much as I can. I just think it's interesting that I'm having to LISTEN so much more than talk at them. It's been a very good lesson for me to learn to just shut up.
It's not like this for everyone though. Hermana Gurney seems to always end up talking to really sharp folks who "aren't interested, thank you very much" which means, she's having to learn to not argue with them and just bare testimony. Maybe we're all getting exactly what we need.
I didn't get to say everything I wanted to--today was really hectic, but I'm planning to just write you and grandma next week, so hopefully my letter will be a bit more complete--sorry for the lack of structure...**
I had a really wonderful week, I hope the same can be said of you! I love you so much! Hermana Lillywhite

No comments:

Post a Comment