Monday, April 12, 2010

Terribly cheerful, in spite of everything.

Oh! I'm so sorry, I forgot to mention last week how the Easter Candy miraculously arrived perfectly on time, so we we muching on that while watching conference as well. We still have a lot left, but it's going pretty fast. Thank you so much for that! It was such a wonderful Easter Surprise to have those goodies in time. I don’t have much news this week… it was kind of a rough week, filled with lots of finding and searching and praying and occasionally passing out. Man, I don’t think I’ve ever been so exhausted my whole life. We’re working hard because right now our teaching pool is um… nonexistent to be honest. It’s a great opportunity for us to do some hard-core finding.

We’re cheerful always though. I really think that Sister Christensen and I were chosen to work in this area and at this time, because we’re both able to continue working—with no success, but without getting horribly depressed. I mean, we definitely have our moments of tristeza. The other day when our investigator wouldn’t open the door I started scratching at it like a hurt puppy and yelping a little. We’ve also taken to just saying the words “Harry. Carry.” When something particularly devastating happens. I don’t think I’m spelling it right, but you get the idea. We try to have a good attitude is the bottom line. We keep each other laughing and optimistic. Honestly, all these people we teaching are going to be awesome Mormons one day, it’s just that the time isn’t always right. But we’ll keeping working with them until it is.

Our Elders keep us laughing too. They are pretty hilarious. Too many stories to tell them all. Our District Leader right now is Elder parker and he and his companion were in the MTC together, so they’ve got tonz of stories and jokes together that date back from those days. Elder Manship and Elder Geldmaucher in our ward with us are just plain funny. They’ve taken to inventing things. The latest invention that they showed us was a tube of toothpaste that they’d hollowed out and fit with a slightly pointy appendage from the inside of a floss container so that they could inject yogurt into cupcakes. They said it worked wonderfully, although the yogurt had the slight taste of toothpast which after eating few, made them both feel rather ill.

Elder Parker is going to create his own ‘Spanish Missionary’ themed valentines next year. Including such classic lines as, “You and I are like Pan Dulce and Abuelita Chocolate. Together, we’re delicious, but without each other, we’re gross.”

Home sounds charming and classic. Fresh veggies! Yum! I’ve decided I want to learn to cook. I’ve decided I want to learn a lot of things actually. Can I major in “Renaissance Woman” please? Poor Bella baby. One of our member’s cats went into heat a few weeks ago, and we went over to visit them and they were all just sitting around watching her yowl and trying to figure out what to do with her. She’s fine now. Cute kitty, she’s got her appointment to get spayed too.

Wow I had no idea Kate was living in Salt Lake! I have not heard from her since I left. Silly woman. That’s cool that she’s got a job down there, but sad about her family. It’s too bad her siblings can’t follow her example and have some kind of stable life. I know it’s rough out there, but I’ve seen people do some amazing things with their circumstances, whatever they may be. That’s good that Syndie’s happy too. I haven’t heard from her either.

Send me pictures of Shazi all promed-out! And put Jensen’s animation project on youtube and send me a link! I miss you guys so much. I saw the super-dymanic pictures on Dad’s blog. Very cool looking family I’ve got there. I like your assessment of “Mike”’s grades in Jensen’s art class. It’s so true.

I’ve taken to making the comic stripes you’ve sent me into book marks. The one about Jane Eyre needing to be re-written with vampires is in Sunkitty and His Friends and I’m now using a “Bizarro” double-feature (The Politically Correct Meeting of The Posture-Challenged Person of Notre Dame and the Different-Looking Individual and Laundry-day for Santa Muerte) for my 1,001 pitfalls of the Spanish Language text book. The other missionaries enjoy them as much as I do.

“Yeah. My mom gets me.” I tell them.

Good old Kimber. Such a charming, charming place it is. I share stories of Kimber occasionally to the other missionaries.

We received permission to watch The Prince of Egypt, so we’re going to have a little part today for P-day and put the movie on, and I’m going to make empanadas. The sweet kind. I came make the savory ones, but I’ve decided I like desert empanadas. They’re not so good the way taco bell does them, but I’ve got a recipe from a member who I trust.

I’m sorry my letter is so very short this week… But, I’m going to try my best to get that package off for you guys, so hopefully, receiving the first season of Castle on DVD, and other goodies will make up for the brevity of this little cartita.

I LOVE you all, sooo much and I miss you terribly, but I’m happy doing the Lord’s work and don’t really want to see you until July 28th. But, when that day comes, there will be much rejoicing.

Hermana Lillywhite

No comments:

Post a Comment