Monday, March 8, 2010

Trying to find decent mozzarella in Houston is like trying to find meaning in a Pauly Shore movie.

Familia y Amigos...

Daddy is released!!! How do you feel, Padre? Estas cansado? That's fun that you two get to be sleepy ward miembros for a bit. Good for you! Also, good for you to have dinner with missionaries and recent converts. That's the idea. Our ward is not doing amazing right now, but I did get to go visit my last ward Louetta, last night for a baptism of a woman who I taught while I was there. Also named Joanna. It came as a huge surprise, since the last I heard (at Christmas time) was that they stopped teaching her after I left the area. So I was really excited to get a call this week letting me know that she started coming to church in the last few weeks and has been preparing for baptism! It was a lovely service. As usual, I played the piano. I forgot that no one in that ward knows how to play until we were on our way there and I suddenly wondered if I'd been invited for the sole reason of my abilities to tocar. Joanna looked beautiful and very happy. Her family was there to support her, and it was nice to visit with some of my old friends there.

Dinner sounds delicious, I hope both Joannas feel comfortable and happy in their respective wards.

Yeah, our ward is a little silly right now. We had an AWESOME stake conference in which they gave a huge emphasis to member missionary work. So. Hopefully we'll see some improvement soon. Or at least have correlation sometime this transfer.

Transfers are coming up, and I really don't know what to expect. There's a lot about my situation here which reminds me of when I was being trained by Hermana Frieszell in 6th ward. It makes me suspect that I'll stay here for a least one more transfer and Hermana Christensen will get sent to the ghetto to be greenie broken. But—that wouldn't follow the recent established pattern of me being the one to leave an area and my companion being left in charge of my old area. Or—maybe, we'll both just stay here. I just want whatever the Lord wants. And. I want to know about it. That second part is a problem sometimes.

Our investigators right now. Good heavens we have a lot of them. But very few who will come to church or accept any of the commitments we give them. We're working with a couple of lovely families, and an apartment filled with men from Guatemala. They are funny and all at differing levels of interest. Ranging from “I want to get baptized and go on a mission and tell everyone about the Mormon Book!” to “Well... I'm a sinner, and I'm kind of okay with it.” I'm a little unsure about how sincere these statements are. I think they both are probably a little more towards the middle than they're letting on.

The Earthquake in Chile is a topic of conversation and prayer everywhere. We got to read about the missionaries and members there, and how they're all doing well. I guess Moroni lost his trumpet but the damage wasn't too bad? That's crazy that Lauren felt it over in Argentina too. We're definitely facing up to some major signs to the end of days. It helps to increase my confidence in our leaders. If they receive warnings about stuff like this and act on it, then we just have to be wise enough to head their advice...

Ooo Roma. I was thinking about you the other day.

It's impossible to find fresh mozzarella in this city. They have this sorry substitute; whole milk mozzarella. I've used it to make a medio-capreze dish, but it's just not the same. And they look at you funny when you ask for oil and vinegar with bread. But that's okay, I learned how to make fresh salsa, so I guess it's a fair trade.

I got Laney's letter!!! It was SO CUTE. I want to see a picture of this silly bruise. I also finally received some letters of Chantal's. I don't know why, but the office seems to have difficultly sometimes, getting letters to people. Mostly to me though. And to Hermana Christensen, because there's a Sister Christensen serving nearby as well. So they sometimes get each other's mail. Silly office.

I haven't done too many magic tricks. I do show kids my puzzle ring and teach them how that works sometimes, but playing cards are not allowed (Don't get me started). So I don't own any right now. Every once in a while, when it comes up I'll mention to people how I LOVE cards/kind of collected them and had a deck with me at all times in case of spontaneous poker games, and usually other missionaries are sort of like, “Really!?” and I'll be like, “I don't gamble you silly boy, I just like games. And magic tricks. And cards. They. Are. Pretty.”

Actually. A memory is coming back to me. I think I did show somebody some card tricks once in Crosstimbers... They had a deck sitting at their kitchen table and I feel like we were waiting for somebody to get off the phone or come out of the bathroom, so I did a few tricks to entertain during the pause.

I think that's all for news this week. We've got another Zone Meeting this week. Apparently the one with the reporter didn't count? So, we're holding another one. We've also got more exchanges, this time, with the Spanish sisters in the Westgreen ward. Hermana Gurney will be coming here with me for a day! Yay! MTC companions reunited!

Honestly... kind of can't wait for Alice in Wonderland. I'm glad that Jesus and co. enjoyed it. I typically enjoy whatever they enjoy. Also. Johnny, Helena, Tim... Was Danny Elfman involved at all? I've been following their careers thus far. So, I'll continue.

I love and miss you all like crazy. I hope everything is well back home. It sounds idyllic as usual.

Hermana Lillywhite

No comments:

Post a Comment