Monday, January 18, 2010

Attempted MansLaughter

Yeah, I usually wouldn't be able to write to you today, but since we've started doing our e-mail and laundry at Ashley's (with permission from president, of course) I get to e-mail you today! GREAT week. Okay, actually it was pretty stressful and we had a lot appointments/members cancel on us last minute, or just not even show up. It was pretty frustrating.

I know how important it is to have members with us at our appointments, but being an HOUR late, because we're waiting around for our member is just ridiculous. If them being late was unusual, I wouldn't complain, but it's not. It's pretty typical actually. But an hour is too much. As Hermana Christensen put it, “Well it's acerca de tiempo!”

Debbie, Tony and Shannon got baptized which was the highlight of the week. The service was gorgeous. English wards are so formal. They were so happy, and looked like a family of angels. I got a picture to send you all when I print out pictures next.

Here actually it's much left to comment on for this week... Zone meeting was very good. President Hansen shared some remarks that were very appropriate, I think exactly what I needed to hear. Hermana Thomas had her surgery on Friday. I don't know how it went, so I'm going to write her today.

Also, my companion hit me with the car yesterday. That was fun.

Well, actually it was terrifying for the couple of seconds before I figured out I wasn't injured—after that though, it was just hilarious. Poor thing, she was utterly convinced she'd killed me for a minute, but I'm fine. I'm sore. Very nearly bruised and that's about it. It's this silly backing thing that we have to do. Whoever isn't driving (obviously me, yesterday) has to stand outside and signal with your hands if it's okay to go/which way to turn. But it was dark and hard to see.

Yeah, so, aside from that, there isn't much to share... we've been doing a great deal of finding lately. So everyone who were teaching is brand new and just learning to walk on baby-feet. I love them all already, and I'm pretty sure they're all getting baptized though. Maybe not this transfer, but soon enough. Hermana Christensen seems to have a knack for finding people, in addition to her attempted manslaughter of my person, she has many talents. Whenever we go knocking we seem to find a new investigator. Good people too, very solid. I hope we'll be able to help them.

Home sounds charming. Yes, do tell me how the silly 2012 movie goes. During our lessons, I typically ask if they've got questions, and I've been frequently hearing “Is the world going to end in 2012?” to which I usually respond, “Well, I'm not sure, but I'm going to take a confident stab at no.”

One of our little recent converts in this ward Jaquelin, was very seriously concerned...

“But, the Mayan calender ends! Why didn't they make anything more after 2012?” -Jaqu.

“Well, they had to finish sometime!” -Me

“What do you mean?” -Jaqu.

(To put things in context, she had just brought out her new “Cute & Cuddly Kitten Pictures” calender to show us what kitten pictures had been chosen for our birthday months. She's 10.)

“Well—it's like... say the Mayans really liked kittens, okay, so they decide they're going to make a cute kitten calender and they take their ancient camera and take like billions and billions of pictures of kittens and then they start to make a calender, but they're still eventually going to run out of pictures of cute kittens with which to assign months for this calender, right?” -Me.

“Oh.... okay!” -Jaqu.

“Yeah, and you know, they couldn't just keep making calenders forever, eventually somebody's going to be like, 'Wow, okay, we're covered on calenders for the next couple dozen centuries, we can probably give it a rest and do something else for while, I'm sure there will be time sometime in the next two thousand years to make some calenders for after 2012,' I mean, they're an extinct civilization for sobbing out loud, they wasted they're time counting up to 2012 in the first place, they could have stopped ages ago and it wouldn't have mattered for them anyway, why should it matter for us?” -Me.

“That makes sense... so when is the world going to end?” -Jaqu.

And then, we moved into a rather brilliant lessons about the millennium, and left little Jaquelin much less frightened about 2012, and looking forward to the second coming, rather than fearing it.

I think my understanding of the 2012 theory is inherently flawed. But that's okay, I helped a 10 year old girl get a good night's sleep and had her imagining Mayan kittens, so all's good.

Anyway, tell me how you like the movie.

3.6? Good work Jensen! Ra ra ra. Si se puede!

I got Sifu's word about the Kung Fu test. Sounds intense! You know what else sounds intense? The political climate. Urgh. Kind of glad I'm missing it.

Carmen! Ooo, cool! I was totally thinking about Opera this week. I don't remember why. It had some relevance... Anyway, that lame that the musicians sacrificed a good show for their own selfish reasons. Three minutes? Honestly? How totally unprofessional and without keeping in the spirit of art and beauty and love. They should be thoroughly chastised.

I'm so sorry about your tooth, that sounds painful. Sad too, that you couldn't even get a hold of your dentist... Something like that needs to be handled quickly.

Well, I love you all and miss you terribly. I'm looking forward to mommy's letter this week in the mail.

Os quiero mucho,

Hermana Lillywhite

No comments:

Post a Comment