Monday, June 22, 2009

Besito o Bezito?

Familia mia,
Hey, thank you for forwarding the Schumen’s letters, I’d love to write them sometime, but I need their address to do so… I can’t actually e-mail people outside of you lovely folks.
My week has been really wonderful, I really loved Laney’s cute letter, it was so prettily coloured and she’s getting to be such a good little writer! And mommy thanks for sending Lauren and Cody’s letters along with yours and the cute, cute little girl comics. I really appreciate hearing from you guys. I know your busy, and that normal life does go on… as weird as that is to think about.
Pati and Antonia are doing well. Their mother (sort of) wants us to start teaching her too. I think she’s just finally curious about this church her daughters joined. So we’ve tried to invite her in on the lessons but she usually just says she’s tired and takes a nap instead or just disappears mysteriously. Anyway, we’re still going to try and teach her, and the brother too. We’re a little concerned though, the mother has got the girls wearing some kind of little machine. It looks like a beeper but it’s not. It can’t give them any information. It doesn’t do anything, it just sits on their hip and gets mad and beeps when it gets dark or if they leave it in the same spot for too long, and then I guess if it suspects something suspicious is happening it’ll actually call these people who then call the mom. I don’t know what they do after dark, but this thing is weird, it sounds like some kind of device to keep track of them. I really don’t know what it’s about, but the girl’s mom said it has something to do with television ratings. All very sketchy. The website for this thing is this panel.relations@arbitran.com and the phone number is 1-800-277-9136. Do you have any idea what this is, or why this mom is making her daughters were it all the time?
Aside from that, not much to report. We’ve got another young woman Emily, whose got a date for the 5th. She really wants to be baptized and is already going to church and all the young women activities, but we’ve been having trouble finding time to come actually teach her all the lessons she needs. And Pati and Antonia are really excited to go be baptized and confirmed for their sister who died years ago. In church last week someone told the story of how Hyrum was baptized and confirmed for Alvin and Pati and Antonia have been really excited about doing this for their sister since before their own baptism. They were really excited when I explained that Hyrum was my great-great-great grandfather and alive my great-great-great uncle. Is that the right number of greats? I started to try counting but… it’s just not working out for me right now. I’m pretty beat. This week was rough. We had a ward party Friday and that was quite fun. It was a talent-show for father’s day. The Elders did a skit and a few senora’s sang for us and then they had a belly dancer perform for us.
The Bishop was out of town (driving his son to MTC)! So, a few people were pretty scandalized. I don’t really blame them. One of the young men we’re teaching (recent convert and sixteen years old) tried to argue that Belly Dancing is an ancient art and very beautiful and perfectly appropriate in every setting. I’d have to agree to some point, but their particular Belly Dance didn’t really qualify as acceptable and he’s a sixteen year old boy so of course he’s going to enjoy it.
The poor girl was clearly trying, okay, she wore, what was actually a fairly modest belly-dancing outfight, but it was still bare-midriff and all, and Hermana Forsling and I basically decided that at the very least she needed to have a leotard on underneath this Barbie-pink (or red depending on who you ask, the debate is on-going and I am NOT colour-blind) jangling silky thing that she was wearing. Also, there is a way to dance with more technique and beauty and less sex appeal, but I don’t think she knows how to do that, or she just doesn’t care. In any case… Hermana Forsling has a good friend whose a belly-dancer and knows a little about technique and had to explain to our investigators and recent converts who were present, that ’Yes, okay, there was probably something kind of wrong with that, but belly-dancing itself isn’t bad if you know how to do it properly, and also, probably not at a church…’ etc. In the end we all just kind of laughed about it. But a few people are anxiously awaiting the return of the bishop so they can point out the golden calf or something.
Luckily, the belly-dancer isn’t in our ward. I think she’s the daughter/niece of the person in charge of the party.
Have I mentioned that Latino Parties are in stark contrast to white-people fiestas? It’s pretty fun.
So how is everyone?! How is Grandma’s back? How are Laneybaby and Ginna in school?! Are they OUT of school already?! Am I really approaching six months out here? How are mis padres and mis abuelitos y tios y primos y todo?! COMO ESTAN!? I’m going to wrap this letter up with a plee for more information… I heart cada uno de vosotros. (I don’t know why I’m always inclined to use vosotros with my family, seeing as how I’m in Texas and we usually have to explain what vosotros is to people who don’t already read sus santas biblias.
Really though, is everything really as normal and wonderful as it sounds? How’s the weather for biking/swimming, any fun changes/haircuts/impending engagements or births? I LOVE you, littlekiss, littlekiss, littlekiss. (I was going to write besito, but my companion says it’s bezito and I think she’s telling me wrong as a joke, but I’m just confused now, so I translated it into English instead)
Corazon, Hermana Lillywhite

No comments:

Post a Comment